Controlled tyre

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
kew
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: Keith Walters

Re: Controlled tyre

Unread post by kew »

I agree that organisers should organise race meetings and not competitors. When there is a chance of sponsorship or any kind of help from manufacturers that should be grabbed with both hands and if it means putting stickers on the bike then there is no problem with that. If competitors have to use a control tyre there is no problem with that if anyone doesn't like any part of it they don't have to enter and that is fair enough.
No one can deny that the package set up for the F1 championship this year is tremendous and long may it continue.
Back to my original question, how much notice have the competitors had of the control tyre. I'm sure the solos had more than a few weeks and Mr Muldoon just because Yokohama are no longer making tyres for us does not mean that competitors should know that there will be a control tyre.
I took the shell off my racing snail thinking it would make him faster.
It just made him more sluggish.
tufty113
Setting the Fastest Lap
D/P/T/M/S: driver(well try to)
Full Name: matt dix

Unread post by tufty113 »

[quote="frankie66"]Every one knew that it would be Avon this year as yoko had stopped making Tyres .
Ian told us all that he would not be suppling the paddock in 2011 and this was common knowledge from the pembrey 1st round 2010. If you are a team who has purchased a load of yokos then contact mr dommett or mr body and get the true answer as to where you stand on this instead of moaning on here about it . For the last 15 years it's been yoko only and nobody complained then !!!!!

sorry but its not been only yolks the last 15 years ...many people have used avon's and other makes...we have just been lucky and spoilt for the support we got from express tyres and yoko's.....but if people have got other tyres then they should personally be able to use what they have....if avon wish to sponsor a championship like yokoahama did with express tyres then exellent for all and they should welcome all that wish to race ...even if they dont want to use the avons...
http://www.madservices.co.uk

Motorcycle Servicing & Engineering in Kent & Sussex
ryan94
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: passenger

Unread post by ryan94 »

A years worth of Yokis, must have cost a fortune!
I know some club racers who can help you get rid of them if your stuck, obviously not in one go, we can only afford a set every few rounds if we are lucky!
i can resist everything except temptation...............
a man who lives within his means suffers from a clear lack of imigination.....
craig n
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Craig Nicol

Unread post by craig n »

All this is getting boring,no 23 on sheet states controlled tyre(Avon) so just get on with it and if your not registered in championship why complain anyway.Must be nice too be able to afford to buy tyres in advance.
ACER
One Lap Completed

Unread post by ACER »

That'll no bother you Craig as ye dinnae buy the feckers anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frankie66
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: talented athlete
Full Name: stuart muldoon

Unread post by frankie66 »

and Mr Muldoon just because Yokohama are no longer making tyres for us does not mean that competitors should know that there will be a control tyre.[/quote]

right from the 1st round at pembrey last year all teams competeing in th F1 championship were told by ian from express tyres that he would not be selling any tyres as he would not have any to sell.

he also pointed out on a few occasions that it would be avon only and even suggested people try them to get used to them.

now to my knowledge pirelli, dunlop, goodyear, dont make F1 sidecar tyres but avon do therefore they have control on this matter.

anyone with a stock of yokos will run out and then they will be on avon anyway so whats the problem??????????

having sat in on some meetings to do with this championship and seen the money on the table i fully respect the decisions that have been made to get this where it is, but there is always the small minded stuck in the past people whether its F1 F2 or dont ride at all that want to stick the spoon in and mix it up.

heres how it is , F1 at british championship are using avons as they are committing to us in return for RKBF1 committing to them.
if you dont want to use the avons fair enough, go and race somewhere else or sell up .

if you have a spare £150,000 to spend then contact RKBF1, buy them out then you can use whatever you want.
kinyeseemenoo ! naw, kinyeseemenoo !!
dips
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger Co pilot
Full Name: Dips

Unread post by dips »

Right, i think the rule is ridiculous, come on peeps! Wake up and smell the coffee, to drop this on the teams so late on is ridiculous yeah, perhaps in other solo classes you have to use the sponsor tyre, but you k ow that before you join! Thats the point if the teams were informed say a season in advance prior to a controlled tyre championship then perhaps the teams wouldnt have bought the tyres up front! But this wasnt said! All anyone knew was that ian was packing up and avon was supplying the new tyres! Thats the point!

Sure we all know ian was packing up! But hes always looked after the paddock for a lot of years, with a friendly and and efficient service also may i add fitting all makes of tyres! Yes the sidecar has been mainly yoko but there have been other makes used!

So does everyone have to change their wets and inters too?? Theres a grand gone! Woops! This is starting to look rather rock and hard place, biased, call it whatever you will but downright unreasonable and at too short a notice!

This needs sortin for the good of the sport!
ian express tyres
Fired Up

Unread post by ian express tyres »

well said but this does not encourage me to come back next year either :evil:
kew
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: Keith Walters

Unread post by kew »

frankie66 wrote:and Mr Muldoon just because Yokohama are no longer making tyres for us does not mean that competitors should know that there will be a control tyre.
right from the 1st round at pembrey last year all teams competeing in th F1 championship were told by ian from express tyres that he would not be selling any tyres as he would not have any to sell.

he also pointed out on a few occasions that it would be avon only and even suggested people try them to get used to them.

now to my knowledge pirelli, dunlop, goodyear, dont make F1 sidecar tyres but avon do therefore they have control on this matter.

anyone with a stock of yokos will run out and then they will be on avon anyway so whats the problem??????????

having sat in on some meetings to do with this championship and seen the money on the table i fully respect the decisions that have been made to get this where it is, but there is always the small minded stuck in the past people whether its F1 F2 or dont ride at all that want to stick the spoon in and mix it up.

heres how it is , F1 at british championship are using avons as they are committing to us in return for RKBF1 committing to them.
if you dont want to use the avons fair enough, go and race somewhere else or sell up .

if you have a spare £150,000 to spend then contact RKBF1, buy them out then you can use whatever you want.[/quote]

Obviously an intelligent exchange of views is not possible on this subject, I'm gone.
I took the shell off my racing snail thinking it would make him faster.
It just made him more sluggish.
Scott Lawrie
On the Starting Grid
Full Name: scott lawrie

Unread post by Scott Lawrie »

I'd be willing to put up one very expensive bottle of whiskey that nobody could tell me what Billy Connelly would say to this thread?

On a serious note children lets all just calm down before feathers get ruffled & the wrong people get pee'd off about something trivial that could be a simple miss print. Every one of you have an opinion & it's only fair we have a say..... a little more tact's whats called for on this topic please gentlemen........ (Mr english youve got a lot to answer for: who'd want to do a dirty washing in public...... only us lol, gotta love the slidey folks eh, oh & well done for moving the hand bags away from the unregisterd eyes)

It seems to me, at the very least a safety issue comes in to play here..... the last thing we need for whats going to be the best championship in F1 sidecars i've ever seen, is a load of unwanted crashes that hold up track time at BSB rounds as some teams havent had the privellage of using other brands. I personally would be one of the one worst hit as I got a load of Yokhama's last year for this year "nothing to do with Yokhamas are any better than Avons as the Birchalls have proved time & time again, more of as I live north of the border & the hastle to get tyres"

What we have to remember is this: Avon are one of the sponsors to our championship & in turn deserve a right to say what tyres are used "hail all the sponsors for this oppertunity". I'm pretty sure even Avon will have a little compassion for teams that have perfectly good tyres in reserve the opertunity to use them up before we all start buying the mighty Avon tyre.
Surely a little black paint over Yokohama branding will be enough to keep everyone happy...no? are we crying over something simple as a little red brand name & a little black paint?

If the worst came to the worst, without any prior warning that In order to compete in the British championship you can only use Avons, thats if you want the chance to win a pound or two, be on TV & share the same paddock as the super stars then somebody post me the bitter pill now please.

Mr English I do hope you store all these lovely topics as I'm sure one day when TV soap's run out of story lines your gonna be minted.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

Scottie you don't realise how long it takes me in the morning to log in as all these different people to argue with myself, just for a bit of traffic 8-)
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
Craig C
On the Starting Grid
Full Name: Craig Chaplow

Unread post by Craig C »

Come now Ian, thats a bit harsh saying about Yokohama's interest in NEXT years championship, after all those years of Yokohama sponsoring the F2 series and making more money selling by selling more F1 tyres!
The grass is always greener
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

There is a positive response to this from RKBF1 on the way, I've seen part of the email on my phone but for some reason not all of it and the PC is still not getting my emails in so I can't copy it across to here or post on the front yet. It seems the backlog on the email server is starting to resolve but there's probably quite a few sitting there waiting to come in.. bear with us (or rather the host).

Update..
Having taken on board the comments of some of the riders with regards to the Yokohama tyres they have left over or have purchased up front, we have tried to do our best to help the situation.

Firstly we have been back to Avon Tyres and been able to renegotiate a deal with them to allow Yokohama’s to be used at the first 2 rounds. Riders will however still have to display the Avon Tyre stickers and will not be able to promote Yokohama tyres in any form. Riders will of course have to deal with the fitting and balancing of their own Yokohama tyres, there is obviously an issue with insurance on fitting other companies tyres, which Avon do not wish to be involved with.
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
Alan Richardson
Setting the Fastest Lap
Full Name: Alan

Unread post by Alan Richardson »

If that wont keep people happy, nothing will. Still not happy???? Well, theres Bemsee, NG, DP, etc, etc. ;) Or even............................F2!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Yangi
One Lap Completed

Unread post by Yangi »

geemeit wrote:I'd be willing to put up one very expensive bottle of whiskey that nobody could tell me what Billy Connelly would say to this thread?

On a serious note children lets all just calm down before feathers get ruffled & the wrong people get pee'd off about something trivial that could be a simple miss print. Every one of you have an opinion & it's only fair we have a say..... a little more tact's whats called for on this topic please gentlemen........ (Mr english youve got a lot to answer for: who'd want to do a dirty washing in public...... only us lol, gotta love the slidey folks eh, oh & well done for moving the hand bags away from the unregisterd eyes)

It seems to me, at the very least a safety issue comes in to play here..... the last thing we need for whats going to be the best championship in F1 sidecars i've ever seen, is a load of unwanted crashes that hold up track time at BSB rounds as some teams havent had the privellage of using other brands. I personally would be one of the one worst hit as I got a load of Yokhama's last year for this year "nothing to do with Yokhamas are any better than Avons as the Birchalls have proved time & time again, more of as I live north of the border & the hastle to get tyres"

What we have to remember is this: Avon are one of the sponsors to our championship & in turn deserve a right to say what tyres are used "hail all the sponsors for this oppertunity". I'm pretty sure even Avon will have a little compassion for teams that have perfectly good tyres in reserve the opertunity to use them up before we all start buying the mighty Avon tyre.
Surely a little black paint over Yokohama branding will be enough to keep everyone happy...no? are we crying over something simple as a little red brand name & a little black paint?

If the worst came to the worst, without any prior warning that In order to compete in the British championship you can only use Avons, thats if you want the chance to win a pound or two, be on TV & share the same paddock as the super stars then somebody post me the bitter pill now please.

Mr English I do hope you store all these lovely topics as I'm sure one day when TV soap's run out of story lines your gonna be minted.
Very eloquent Scotty! Can you teach Mr Muldoon a few things?.......... ok, probably not :lol:

Anyway Roger has put a lot of money, time, effort, and thought into the resurgence of the F1 Class. And doesnt make decisions lightly - but based on what is better for the championship to move onwards and upwards. We all knew Yokohama weren't making more tyres last year (for reasons beyond Ian's control). So the logical conclusion was we had to move onto Avon eventually, like it or not (unless you had a big sponsor/pocket to buy up lots of stock......)

But as Scott has said - if you wanna move on with the Best British series F1's, NO - Sidecars in general! Have had since........(answers on a postcard please?) then a few of you might have to swallow the bitter pill!

Ian & Sam have done a brilliant job over the past (?) 20 years? and should be awarded a Lifetime Achievement award really! We might think 'they' (Tyre suppliers general) charge a lot of money for us to enjoy our hobby - But A) they have to run a business B) How much would you charge to provide the same service with having to buy the goods up front? and C) I do not think any tyre company would look at Sidecars as a Money Spinner! (not like say 4 wheels F3 or Touring Cars ect - Think of Point B) They choose to do it because they have an interest in it or enjoying being involved in it - Certainly Ian & Sam have or I sure they could have put their time effort and money to much greater use!

I for one am very sorry to see a single tyre rule - but if only a single manufacturer is actually committed to making the tyres then it would be stupid not to go for a bit of 'help' from them whilst building a series - would it not?

If you are lucky enough to have other makes of tyres in stock, use them at the Non British Rounds (might be a pain changing them over...... another fact we forget when 'buying' tyres) But there are plenty of non-British Championship races during the year.
Oh :o but they might charge a big entry fee also :?:

Anyway - Roger aware of situation and trying to make a solution in the short term. But just as a bit of a laugh - Lets try and keep this thread to People who are actually involved in the British F1 Sidecar Championship and actually pay the bills - as they are the only people who's opinions really matters at this stage surely?