Very early TT Video (from FB)

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Very early TT Video (from FB)

Unread post by steve-e »

I thought the first TT was 1923 for sidecars, still great footage :D

IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
petercaughlin
Throttle on the Stop

Re: Very early TT Video (from FB)

Unread post by petercaughlin »

I wonder if they broke a 35mph lap!!!
p.a.caughlin
Dan
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: Driver - injured

Unread post by Dan »

Maybe they should go back to having men* in white coats standing in the middle of the road pointing the direction the riders have to go :shock:, it might reduce the number of crashes :roll:

*Sorry, in these days of equality women would have to be allowed to stand in the middle of the road too :notworthy:

Steve, according to the TT website the first sidecar TT was in 1923 as you thought. The footnote on the film says 'early sidecar racing 1914-1918' but there were no races in the years after the 1914 TT until it commenced again in 1920 as something now called The First World War intervened and the brave men were needed elsewhere and engineering turned to producing war machinery. Incidentally 1914 was the year that crash helmets were made compulsory for riders.

They were quite a lot faster than 35 mph Peter (see below).

TT 1923
Despite the objections of the manufacturers, a sidecar class was introduced in 1923 and proved an instant hit with enthusiasts.

Sidecars were a popular mode of transport and the factories felt that racing them around the Mountain Circuit was not the ideal way to promote their products, but 14 outfits lined up for the start of the three-lap race. The manufacturers' worries proved to be unfounded, with the favourites, solo star Freddie Dixon and his passenger Walter Perry, comfortably winning an accident-free race with their special 'banking' outfit at an incredible average of 53.15 mph.

The previous year the course had changed slightly in Ramsey, with the road connecting Parliament Square to May Hill being used instead of the town's streets. In 1923 the track was widened at Sulby Bridge, while the corner above Hillberry was named after Walter Brandish, who crashed and broke his leg there.
Proud and honoured to be a member of Team Past It.
With age comes wisdom, maturity and responsibility.............unless you race sidecars !
Fanch
Sniffing a Victory
D/P/T/M/S: S
Full Name: Francois BEAUCHAMPS

Unread post by Fanch »

Brilliant informations.
You know why ?
Have a look on the movie, at 0'22", inside Ramsey Hairpin, who can we see ?

Dan !!!
He was there.
En Bretagne, on dit qu'il pleut souvent, mais la pluie ne mouille que les cons !!
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
Dan
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: Driver - injured

Unread post by Dan »

Fanch wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:30 pm Brilliant informations.
You know why ?
Have a look on the movie, at 0'22", inside Ramsey Hairpin, who can we see ?

Dan !!!
He was there.
You are quite right Fanch :thumbup: , it was just before my 39th birthday. I was there getting track knowledge before I entered for the following year's TT, which I had to enter as there were rumours that a 40 year age limit might be introduced for newcomers :( . My observations served me well as I never had any problem getting round Ramsey Hairpin, maybe I should have watched at Bedstead Corner instead :roll: I was never as fast as those guys though :oops:
Proud and honoured to be a member of Team Past It.
With age comes wisdom, maturity and responsibility.............unless you race sidecars !
Fanch
Sniffing a Victory
D/P/T/M/S: S
Full Name: Francois BEAUCHAMPS

Unread post by Fanch »

:beer:
En Bretagne, on dit qu'il pleut souvent, mais la pluie ne mouille que les cons !!
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life