Racing in Malta in 1995

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
kitkatjeff
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: retired passenger
Full Name: jeff sawyers

Racing in Malta in 1995

Unread post by kitkatjeff »

I spend a lot of time over in Malta where there is a thriving classic motorcycle scene and also classic car club including a car gp in october. In 1995 a lot of sidecar and solo racers were involved in going out there to race although the meeting fell through and bikes ended up being impounded for 3 months. Has anybody got any imformation on this please? Either message me or go direct on facebook to the Historic Motorcycle Club of Malta where there is a post about this.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Re: Racing in Malta in 1995

Unread post by steve-e »

Dave Stewart can tell you all about it. It was the end of a club and the start of a rebirth, DS arranged to get all the bikes back.

It sounds like the whole thing going out there in the first place was a scam. They got there and there was no circuit etc.,
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
kitkatjeff
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: retired passenger
Full Name: jeff sawyers

Unread post by kitkatjeff »

My friends in Malta told me it was organised by an Englishman living in Malta but to be successful it would have needed a crowd of approximately 38000 people. This is and Island that when they played Germany in a big match could only attract 35000 so a niche thing like motor sport was doomed from the start. The track was on the old wartime RAF in Halfar and was not complete. The man organising it used the riders bikes as surety for the tarmac laying and when it fell through the bikes were impounded. Funnily enough, Halfar is still used for motor sport running a drag strip and go kart/scooter racing as well. The main motor sport event is the Mdina Grand Prix held in October every year where the classic cars run.
brino85
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: Mechanic
Full Name: James Brindley

Unread post by brino85 »

I know my dad and Webbo went out to look at the place and the both came back saying no chance!!
JB

Don't talk boll***s and deal with facts.