BEARs rule freeze

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
SlowPhil
Throttle on the Stop
D/P/T/M/S: almost a driver
Full Name: phil jones

BEARs rule freeze

Unread post by SlowPhil »

I have this morning emailed the Chairman, Sectary and Treasurer of BHR with this proposal to be included in the agenda of next years AGM. I for one am heartily sick of fighting the same fight every year, this proposal if adopted might save us that conflict in 2022.

Proposal for the BHR AGM 2021 (Date to be fixed).
Proposed : Phil Jones.
Seconded : Steve Gagg :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: .

The proposal is to freeze the BEARs sidecar rules in all classes and variations for the next five years. To be clear, allow no alterations to the current rules as operated in 2019 until the BHR AGM of 2026. At that point should the class remain the success that it currently is this proposal will be renewed.

Rational: All teams in the BEARs sidecar championships that Steve and I have talked to expressed the view that they did not want the rules changed. They also expressed resentment towards people not competing in the class who at every opportunity are trying to alter what is a safe, successful and growing grid. :twisted:
Attachments
Undateables lead.jpg
Worked all week, it's time to play gonna get a little bit sideways!!!!
ianw
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes

Re: BEARs rule freeze

Unread post by ianw »

Good move Phil.
Forgotten Era Racing ( Now Post Classic!) in the 90's was a thriving class with full grids at every meeting, but there was a small group who didn't race with Forgotten Era who wanted to change the rules. Why alter a perfectly good class of racing? Proggression they said, stop the class stagnating they said.
Eventually the few got their way & the Jap multis were let in eventually allowing the TZ750 in, this was the begining of the end of the class, how the hell could a Triumph twin compete against a TZ750?
The brilliant Clubs like Retford & Grantham Pegasus eventually dropped the Class because of dwindling grids, I remember at Retford meetings if you didn't get your entry in early, the grid was full, & closed. What a turn around in just a few years.
I hope BHR listen to you & save your class :notworthy:
SlowPhil
Throttle on the Stop
D/P/T/M/S: almost a driver
Full Name: phil jones

Unread post by SlowPhil »

Thanks Ian
Worked all week, it's time to play gonna get a little bit sideways!!!!
Phil Davies
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Ex D

Unread post by Phil Davies »

Well done Phil, definitely a step in the right direction.

Ian, bit confused here, why moan about triumph/yam twin engine outfits not racing - there has always been the classic club for these engine small wheelers.
I always thought the Forgotten era was designed for TZ/big multicylinder 4 stroke era oufits as they did not fit either F2 (as was) or classic classes.
ianw

Unread post by ianw »

Hi Phil, I'm not having a moan I'm stating a fact.
The original F/era rules were two classes within the race, ie Twin Cylinder machines & Multi Cylinder machines. Thought up by the late Dave Hawley RIP.
I say machines because the machines wern't just sidecars, 3 wheelers were allowed in the races, Morgans, Mogvin, Halex, Greenwood Mini etc.
Multi class was made up of Imp's, Trident's, Saab's, 3 Wheeleers etc, not a Jap multi engine in site. Yamaha 4 stroke twin engines were in the twin class.
The grids at Classic Club meetings in the early 90's were poor so a lot of their riders rode wih F/era because they had a chance of winning.
Full grids.
Then the Jap Multis were let in, repeat of the 70's, eventually the Classic lads left the class & the 3 wheelers, cut a long story short, the begining of the demise of the original Forgotten Era Races.
If certain people are allowed to change the Bears Rules, bye bye Bears as we know it!
Phil Davies
One Lap Completed

Hi Ian, sorry for using the word 'moan', my bad choice of wording (being a Brummie, English is my second language!!!!! :o ).

Cannot accurately remember the 90s classic scene (I was busy with other things then), so why did people race forotten era when their bikes could enter classic (including trident engines) - was that club 'scenery' related (I seem to vaguely remember there being a classic 'difficult' attitude at some point in the past), seems inevitable that once the 'scenery' altered there would be a natural 'homecoming' migration anyway.

I always considered the FE was all about what machinery was competative in the period between end of 'classic' (at the time) and before worms and the original F2 (350 2s and twin 4s) - ie TZ and big grunty multi 4s in conventional chassis, because at the time there was nowhere these engines could be raced and there were plenty of them about.

I also remember back in the day that having a TZ was not a given for a win against a well ridden big 4s multi (as I occasionally used to find out at the time!! :oops: ), so what has changed now?
ianw

Unread post by ianw »

Hi Phil, the MAJOR difference between Forgotten Era & Classic Club was that Forgotten Era allowed 13" wheels & slicks where as at the time Classic didn't.
Centre hub & single sided swingarms were also allowed in F/Era.
F/Era was very relaxed on chassis.
Forgot to mention "Kettles" raced with F/Era & many more engines.
If a bike had historical interest, "Special Dispensation" was allowed for that bike to race as with Paul Hansons Barton Pheonix.
I was Eligibillity Secretary for many years in the 90's for F/Era. Good day's :D
Phil Davies
One Lap Completed

Hello Ian, thanks for the clarification.
When parking my conventional TZ back in the day, I wondered where I might get a good race with it in future days and was relieved when FE popped up (although circumstances have conspired to stop me dragging it back out ever since).
If FE want to encourage all sorts, why not have separate classes?
Suppose I'll have to drag my ass to a circuit with an event and find out what's what. :o
Still, it would be a pity if all the conventional chassis stinkwheels dissappeared, they do make a lovely noise.
Is Paul's Barton the same one of Nigel Rollason, if so I remember that very well when Nigel had it. Nigel virtually re-engineered it to make as reliable as it was (ooer)!
ianw

Unread post by ianw »

Hi Phil, with the demise of F/Era races, it was replaced with a class called Post Classic, no resembalance to F/Era.
The class allows multi 2 strokes, muli 4 strokes etc. You could race your TZ with them. You'd be up against long outfits that they allowed in.
Don't know if you heard, Nigel passed away a few months ago.
No, Pauls bike wasn't Nigels, quite a few riders had Pheonix engines.
Sadly Paul is no longer with us either, his outfits were called "Moonrakers".
Phil Davies
One Lap Completed

Hello Ian, thanks for that.
"You'd be up against long outfits" - screw those things, they ain't an outfit, never were, nowt but a bloody chicane at a UK short circuit.

Back in the day, my mate was a scrutineer at the Brit GP and insisted on trying to open the bag on Biland's original worm (because Alan knew what was inside was illegal) as part of tech inspection - Biland threw his teddies out and threatened to go home if Alan did (because he knew the game would officially be up), Alan would not be bullied by Biland, FIM rep overruled the scrutineer, really. :cry:
Only use for a long 'un is as a work stand for a couple of conventionals!!!! :D

I would love to have a go at BEARS tho', sensible rules.
Note to self, get your bloody finger out and get in the garage!

I did hear about Nigel (through this site), did he sell his outfit before going, I know he was trying to at one point but the price was a bit steep.
tonybsa
In Collection Area
Full Name: tony wheatley

Unread post by tonybsa »

Firstly,Slow Phil,very good proposal,and if the troublemakers dont race in the class,what right do they have to have a say in its rules?
Secondly Phil Davies,as a current TZ750 racer,I would suggest if you want to ride your old TZ outfit,that you enter the 2 stroke parade at the sidecar revival at Cadwell.
We did last year,and it was excellent,I was highly impressed by the organisation,and as such we intend to do it again this year.