RIP Gary Golder - update funeral details added

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

RIP Gary Golder - update funeral details added

Unread post by steve-e »

Gary's funeral is on 21 August 2pm at Gravesend Crem.DA12 3JH. Afterwards at Inn on Lake, DA12 3HB. Flowers or donations (Elenor Hospice) - if you would like to - Tender Touch, Sun Lane Gravesend Kent. DA12 5HQ

It is with sadness we have been asked by Louise to post that Gary passed away early last week.

Gary was one of the men that we grew up with in the paddock at Brands and Lydden as kids, I'll always have memories of Gary and Dad putting the world to rights :)

When the funeral details are announced we will post them on here.
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
ianw
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes

Re: RIP Gary Golder

Unread post by ianw »

Very sad news, a real battler, RIP big man.
David Stewart
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Trotskyite
Full Name: David Stewart

Unread post by David Stewart »

REALLY sorry to hear that.
Gary and I had many "discussions" about the state of sidecar racing,club racing in general and the future of the sport. To say that we didn't always agree is probably an understatement, but he was truly one of the great characters of the racing world and I sometimes wish I'd listened more carefully to the subtleties of some of his arguments.
He was a great bloke and a true ambassador for sidecar racing.
Condolences to Louise, Joe and the rest of the family.
oldbelly
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes
Full Name: Geoff Bell

Unread post by oldbelly »

Sad news. RIP Gary.
Karl
D/P/T/M/S: Ex Passenger
Full Name: Karl Firmin

Unread post by Karl »

What can I say about Gary.

I was first introduced to Gary when I was 13 or 14 by my dad who knew Gary and his mum (who lived just round the corner to us) I was instantly intrigued by sidecars. From around the age of 8 I spent most weekends at Brands or Lydden whenever there was a bike meeting at either circuit. Although I enjoyed the racing I also enjoyed the scenes in the paddock, so usually my brother would take me to the circuits and he'd settle down in the grandstand and I'd just wander off to the paddock, my first friend in the paddock was Kevin Richards (who my dad worked with) so whenever he was racing I'd spend the time with him, cleaning the bike, changing the clutch on the bike, repairing crash damage between races :-).

Around the time I was introduced to Gary Kevin had stopped racing so I'd spent time with Gary and over the years got to know the Golder clan very well. Time in the paddock was usually cleaning the bike and changing engines between races due to siezures etc, I think we got this down to a fine art what with the practice we had and could normally get this turned round in about an hour so no races were missed.

Pete Carter was racing with Gary at first before Jimmy Webb was in the chair and I couldn't be happier when Gary and Jimmy won the Marlboro Clubmans sidecar championship in '83. The end of the year was a shock to me when Gary had a practace crash with Mick Smith coming out of Stirlings, this was one of the few meetings I missed so didn't hear about it until a few days later.

After work, especially if I got away early I'd go to Gary's workshop and see Ray Wilson converting The Ex Terry Windle/ John Morrissey chassis from a 700/750 (Think Terry had a Koenig in it) to house a 350 for Dick Hawes for the TT, this was to become "The Baby" that Gary rode. About the first time Gary rode it was at The Marlboro final at Silverstone and had fitted some ridiculously large 44mm carbs which made the bike a complete bitch to start, ultimately we had to tow the bike behind my car and bump start it, push starting was impossible. For the race calculations were made and we realised the fuel tanks was not going to be big enough so a pony tank was set up. With the bikes on the grid and engine running I even had to top the fuel up to make sure we had enough, This was my introduction to Vernon Cooper, the clerk of the course, who went mental at the scene, I remember Gary finishing in the top ten.

Gary told me at the end of '85 that Ken Threadgill was looking for a passenger and "coerced" me (didn't take much really) into doing it. I did a few races with Ken before I started racing with Tony Croft for a few seasons. Early in '87 Gary’s passenger became unavailable so he asked to jump on at Brands one weekend. We did practice and then onto the first race. Gary was always known for a fast start so it was no surprise we entered Druids in first place (remembering a phase I heard Christine Brindley shout to Barry "You can't race on cold tyres!") unfortunately grip wasn't optimal so we spun and then ended on the infield, we got the bike back on track and finished the race after a hectic fight through the field. After the race Gary said if I could hold on in that race I could hold on anywhere, so a new team was formed.

Onto Mallory we were at a Clubmans racing meeting (Jim Parker/Brenda Scyvier) where you had 4 x 5 lap races. First race coming out the hairpin I missed the handhold on the sidecar wheel arch as it was just out of reach so I got spat out the back, I took the walk of shame back to the paddock, first of all Gary showed concern “ You all right “son”?”, Gary always called people “son” there must be hundreds of us! I said my wrist was sore, Gary took a look and said Nah! That’s OK we’ve got some more races to do. End of the day at the George and Dragon in Swanscombe, Gary and Sylv came in and by that time my wrist had ballooned up, next day a broken scaphoid was diagnosed and the introduction to 7 weeks in plaster, bit of a bugger Chimay was in 4 weeks got round that but trhats another story. I never thanked Gary for helping me avoiding the inconvenience of going to Mallory’s local hospital, instead going to my own local at my leisure 
Gary was the president for the Gravesend Eagles MC and talked me into joining the committee which was an experience and skills learnt there was able to be used in the future.
During wet practice for one of the “free days” at Brands the oil in the carbs emulsified causing them to stick open, needless to say we aquaplaned at high speed into the barriers at the top of paddock with us both being beaten up a fair bit, I got up and went back to where Gary was and all I could hear him asking after was me, he was more worried about me rather than for himself, that sums up Gary to a “T”.
I’ve known Gary for the best part of 80% of my life and can honestly say my life has been the richer for it and I would not have had it any other way. Gary you was a true gent and will sorely missed by many.
Sylv, Louise, Joe, and your families I offer Carol and my deepest condolences to you all. I can’t believe how gutted we were when Joe let us know last week. We’ve had too many happy fun memories of Gary to ever forget him.
joeheys123
Full Name: joseph heys

Unread post by joeheys123 »

wot a top man had meny top races with him so sory joe heys
Eddy Wright
Throttle on the Stop
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Eddy Wright

Unread post by Eddy Wright »

Gary was one of my friends I am really sad to hear of his passing. I got to know him when we both started racing 350 F2s and over the years grew to respect him as a skilled rider, and a great character. He had Jimmy Webb in the chair at the time, we had some great duels together on the track, always fair and clean with no quarter given. I learnt a lot from Gary over these years and I will miss him. My thoughts are with his lovely family. Rest in Peace Gary, and give my love to Terry Windle.
Eddy Wright
Free Styler
Alan Richardson
Setting the Fastest Lap
Full Name: Alan

Unread post by Alan Richardson »

Sad news. Bashed fairings with him many a time. Hard, but fair racer.
Boris Stroud
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: all

Unread post by Boris Stroud »

I write this as I was given the news in Canada, very fortunate to have met Gary and am the proud owner of his last bike the F3. To say he was a true ambassador of sidecars is an understatement many an evening or afternoon was spent talking all about out three wheels and where we all saw it going.
He will be sorely missed, a gent beyond many and an excellent mentor. We have lost a great part of our family, and i know that he touched many of us with his wisdom, humor and incredible love of sidecar racing. RIP Big man you are one that will stay with us for a very long time. Boris
sidecar 151
Full Name: Rob Cameron

Unread post by sidecar 151 »

Real sad to hear about Gary's passing. Andy Smith & myself raced Gary's last F3 (Big single F2) outfit for him at Snetterton. Lovely bloke who will be missed by many. RIP mate
tracktalk
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: Commentator

Unread post by tracktalk »

Gary's funeral is on 21 August 2pm at Gravesend Crem.DA12 3JH. Afterwards at Inn on Lake, DA12 3HB. Flowers or donations (Elenor Hospice) - if you would like to - Tender Touch, Sun Lane Gravesend Kent. DA12 5HQ
tufty113
Setting the Fastest Lap
D/P/T/M/S: driver(well try to)
Full Name: matt dix

Re: RIP Gary Golder - update funeral details added

Unread post by tufty113 »

A lovely man. Very sad to hear. Had a great honour of riding his sidecar in 2009 at the sidecar burn up. Loved every minute of it and he was so enthusiastic to say the least. Will be very missed.
http://www.madservices.co.uk

Motorcycle Servicing & Engineering in Kent & Sussex