Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Scarborough

Unread post by steve-e »

IMG_20150719_155320.jpg
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
steve-e
Site Admin

Re: Scarborough

Unread post by steve-e »

Due to a massive oil spillage on the approach to Farm Bends, which has covered 90% of that section of the course, the Clerk of the Course has announced that for safety reasons the remainder of the meeting has been abandoned.

Phil Edge

Media Coordinator
Auto 66 Racing
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
Helen Gibson
Sniffing a Victory
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger (ret'd)
Full Name: Helen Gibson

Unread post by Helen Gibson »

Oh, dear. One of ours?
Happiness is three-wheeled.
Welsh Daph
Sniffing a Victory
Full Name: Daphne Smith

Unread post by Welsh Daph »

How much of the meeting was lost then?
Hey! hang on a minute . . .
steve-e
Site Admin

Unread post by steve-e »

I don't know. The email came in at 17:07 so I don't think they lost much. Don't know what race it was that dropped oil
woody
One Lap Completed

Unread post by woody »

Meeting abandoned after race 5 due to oil on track ,should have been 12 race programme :( :(
Helen Gibson
Sniffing a Victory

The last race I got results for was sidecars.. with a few DNFs... :-(
john newton
Scything Through The Field

Unread post by john newton »

Re the oil, yes and no, Helen! Carl had reported after the race that it was slippy in places from Memorial onwards plus James Cowton came off in Race 4 at Farm Bends exit. One of 'ours' possibly added to it. Sidecars finished around 3pm, I left around 4.45, meeting hadn't been abandoned then. Gary Thompson was C of C so good decision! Heavier rain in the morning than had been forecast caused a delay so they'd already decided to run the Cock O' The North race as one straight race rather than 2 legs. With the Saturday cancellation, a Scarborough meeting to forget, but they'll bounce back.
John Newton
InkyAnn
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger / Marshal
Full Name: Anne
Twitter: AnneInkyAnn

Unread post by InkyAnn »

According to Gary Thompson's Facebook post on Sunday evening "...a sidecar blew it's engine on the approach to Farm Bends which left oil spread all across the racing surface which went all the way through Farm Bends and up onto the home straight."
www.inkyann.com InkyAnn Racing
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
Helen Gibson
Sniffing a Victory

Oh, b*gger!
IsabelleViolet
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger
Full Name: Isabelle Violet White

Unread post by IsabelleViolet »

The meeting was abandoned at about 5.15pm! So being only at race 5 after an hours weather stop, a couple of 15 minute delays due to weather and crashes and another delay as someone watching needed medical help, with another 7 races to go there was no chance after the oil spillage! It was a long ride home to South Wales! Lol
woody
One Lap Completed

Unread post by woody »

£20 a ticket for 5 races OUCH!!!! at least we got one sidecar race.
Dan
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: Driver - injured

Unread post by Dan »

The sidecar that 'blew up' at Farm Bends was removed from the track at the gate leading through to the solo paddock, which is halfway up the hill out of the dip, so it was certainly not responsible for leaving a trail of oil all the way up onto the home straight. I was told that the oil left was not all over the track until they tried clearing it with a power washer and that then spread it all over the place :o . I didn't see this so can't vouch for it but I think the information came from a solo rider, so the 'enemy' not a 'friend' if you like :roll:

I don't think any of the outfits passing the area after the oil had been dropped had any hairy moments, I know of two certainly that didn't, so I think that possibly suggests that the oil slick wasn't as bad as suggested whilst the race was on.
Last edited by Dan on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud and honoured to be a member of Team Past It.
With age comes wisdom, maturity and responsibility.............unless you race sidecars !
Helen Gibson
Sniffing a Victory

Thanks for that.
little chud
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: John William Chandler

Unread post by little chud »

Dan wrote:The sidecar that 'blew up' at Farm Bends was removed from the track at the gate leading through to the solo paddock, which is halfway up the hill out of the dip, so it was certainly not responsible for leaving a trail of oil all the way up onto the home straight. I was told that the oil left was not all over the track until they tried clearing it with a power washer and that then spread it all over the place :o . I didn't see this so can't vouch for it but I think the information came from a solo rider, so the 'enemy' not a 'friend' if you like :roll:

I don't think any of the outfits passing the area after the oil had been dropped had any hairy moments, I know of two certainly that didn't, so I think that possibly suggests that the oil slick wasn't as bad as suggested whilst the race was on.
I didn't see a trail of oil all the way up onto the start/finish straight. Mind you I did have my eyes shut :lol: :lol:

Joking apart, the flags were out going into farm bends but I didn't see a line of oil going in or coming out of the bends. The only thing I noticed was a patch just about where Rammy went off. Its annoying when reading comments from the solo riders about sidecars dropping oil etc but from what I read and see there are as many hold-ups from them falling over because the don't have enough wheels. You wouldn't get me on two wheels. :o :D

jc :D
The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight.

But they, while their companions slept, were toiling upwards in the night.

******for your new Borealis Rain Light www.borealis-safetylight.com