RGM

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Re: RGM

Unread post by steve-e »

Pete if you can email them to me I'll put them up on your post above ;) steve@steveenglish.com
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
mum e
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: tea lady
Full Name: Mum English. Eve

Unread post by mum e »

SE can you remember the name of the racers who use to come over from Jersey and Guernsey, they brought there outfit over and then left it at Weymouth so they didnt have to ship it every time.?
When the wind blows ,we shall have snow! Hope not ,
steve-e
Site Admin

Unread post by steve-e »

John Smart the fireman?
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
tonybsa2008
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: tony wheatley

Unread post by tonybsa2008 »

Pete,I do have some pictures of the bike when I bought it with a 16" front wheel in it,Ill scan them and send them off to you,I made the forks,but the box swingarm was with the bike when I got it.I also have an early classic racer with a guy from Jersey racing at Snetterton with the CRMC,with an RGM Norton,and Im thinking this is the guy Len Diggins got the frame off.When I got it,it still had RGM stickers on the frame and the seat,and it was definently unbuilt before I built it up.
petbur
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: passenger
Full Name: peter burgess

Unread post by petbur »

Hi Tony, yes i would love to get copies some time, i have emailed some to Steve and he is going to post them for me, i just had a new hard drive in my lap top and all's not well,thanks for the new info. Speak soon thanks
steve-e
Site Admin

Unread post by steve-e »

DSCF03481280.JPG
DSCF10141280.JPG
DSCF10161280.JPG
DSCF10221280.JPG
petbur
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: passenger
Full Name: peter burgess

Unread post by petbur »

Thanks for posting the photos Steve, and all best for 2012.
cranclive
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Clive Temple
Twitter: @cranclive

Unread post by cranclive »

Fascinating information. I have just acquired John Judge's Triumph Daytona solo. I used to hang out in Wellington Street in the late 1970s. In those days it was the punk music scene and going round to the house UK Decay lived in. Never did I think I would own such a fine bike. Back then I was into road going Yamahas. So it is a small world and if anyone can help me find out more about John and RGM I would be most grateful. On 3 July I am organising the History of Motorsport Technology Conference at Cranfield University http://www.motorsportconference.com and will display the Daytona there.
cranclive
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Clive Temple
Twitter: @cranclive

Unread post by cranclive »

Here is John Judge's RGM Triumph solo at Cranfield university on 3 July

http://www.flickr.com/photos/appliedsci ... 0406232960
alan_overton
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: ex-Builder
Full Name: Alan Overton

Unread post by alan_overton »

Wow! Thanks for sharing that picture, Clive- it brought the memories flooding back. The bike looks just the same as it did forty years ago, if not better!

Another Luton name recalled, and another close friend of John Judge... Who remembers Paul Huzzey from the Morgan & Huzzey clock shop in Chapel Street, opposite the old Shell filling station?

Paul also raced Production class on a 500cc Triumph Daytona, travelling with me and my Thruxton Bonny to meetings in my Thames van. I have piccy of him and me braking for the hairpin at Brands, with Ray Knight (on the Hughes 750 Trident) bearing down on us at a great rate of knots.

I'll try and dig it out and post it.

Cheers- AL :)
Shorts
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger/solo rider
Full Name: Alan Pearson

Unread post by Shorts »

and the dynamic duo of Alan Withey and Dave Spark also from Luton
Ex mechanic to Mick Salmon and Chief Team beer taster
Ecosse Lynx
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: T
Full Name: John Hill
Skype contact: ecoss_lynx

Unread post by Ecosse Lynx »

Hi

I bought an RGM in late 71 of a guy Peter Young from around Dartford, he used a triumph engine. I installed a big bore A65. I can't remember the number, but do know it had the round tube swinging arm. I hope the photo's come out as the they were scanned a while back.

John
Attachments
Sunday, February 08, 2004.jpg
Scan119, January 26, 2004.jpg
Bengarzy
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: D
Full Name: Hugh Taylor

Unread post by Bengarzy »

Hi Alan, the RGM rider Paul Wright's passenger was Roger Cubberly, both still going strong.
Paul was the chassis manufacturer of championship winning Wright Karts in the 80s and 90s
And had Jenson Button and other F1 drivers win championships in his karts.
He has searched for his RGM before to see if it still exists.

I also raced at around that time and would like to track my outfit down, it was home built by myself in 1967 and was sold to Roger Dutton in late 1970, it was triumph powered and was certainly one of the first 10" rear and sidecar with 16" front, it had a Seeley double drum front and linked minifin rear and sidecar with magnesium JAP wheels and RGM fibreglass, one other unique feature was the AC fuel pump in the top of the RRT2 gearbox.
Any info would be appreciated in my quest and I would pay whatever it takes to re acquire it.
Ben
alan_overton
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: ex-Builder
Full Name: Alan Overton

Unread post by alan_overton »

Crikey, Ben- both you and Paul Wright looking to retrieve their old outfits? My guess is that they've been flogged to the USA, where they'll remain, sadly...

But it's been REALLY smashing reading this thread again, thanks! Another happy memory now (test day @ Snetterton in the 70's)... I'm out on the old big Norwich Straight track, gently running-in my Thruxton Bonneville proddy racer for the forthcoming club season.

Present the same day was Team Lotus and Emmerson Fittipaldi, testing their new jet-engined car... Each time he flew fast me @ 200mph (when I was doing half that)- he gave me a friendly wave out of his cockpit, for getting outa his way, for you could sense it coming up behind you...

As he flew past, you could feel dirt and grit hitting your visor! With that F1 car he was testing that day, it had a 'lag' on the jet engine... Emerson Fittipalldi was actually applying FULL THROTTLE as he approached the Norwich Straight hairpin, 300M before he BRAKED for it, in order to speed him up to the Esses!!!

That day, the winch on the Lotus truck died. So we all helped Lotus shove EFs test car up into their truck manually.

Happy memories! AL :D
realroadracer
Setting the Fastest Lap
D/P/T/M/S: Driver passenger etc
Full Name: Geoff Knight

Unread post by realroadracer »

I have now bought this outfit and hope to be out on it next season (2021)
So how long have I had these voices in my head, I hear you ask?