Newcomers Trophy

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
Lisa
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: T
Full Name: Lisa Saunders

Re: Newcomers Trophy

Unread post by Lisa »

Excuss my ignorance, but who was or is Peter Chapman?
sarah wells
Fired Up

Unread post by sarah wells »

it was originally for and i quote from the trophy.

TOURIST TROPHY RACES
ISLE OF MAN
THE PETER CHAPMAN TROPHY
FASTEST LAP SIDECAR RACE (OVER 500CC)

Pat Hamblin did explain it to me at the tt and i'm sure it was awarded for something else as well as the newcomer trophy but can't quite remember what she said.

LLoyd Mister very kindly sent me pics of the trophy and the wording to give me ideas for dad's trophy
love many, trust few learn to paddle your own canoe.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

I don't in any way want to sound rude or insulting, but "LLoyd Mister" would be a great name for a cat :D

Thanks S :D
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
ravenous25
On the Starting Grid
Full Name: Phil Wain

Unread post by ravenous25 »

I'll have to dig out my old results book to be 100% sure but in the 1970s, certainly from 1974 onwards, the Peter Chapman Trophy was awarded to whoever set the fastest lap of the over 500cc race, and the fastest lap of the second race (when there weren't split capacity races) - the Wal Handley trophy was awarded for the fastest lap of the 1000cc/first race. After Jock Taylor's sad death, a new trophy in his memory was awarded for the fastest lap of the meeting.

The Peter Chapman Trophy was then awarded briefly to the best newcomer (1983-1985) before going to the overall winner of the F2 class (1986-1989) - that's why Dave Saville's on it more than once. When the F2 class became the main race, the trophy then reverted back to going to the best newcomer (1990-present).

by and large, it appears the trophy's been awarded to the driver who's the best newcomer so it doesn't matter if his passenger has done it before eg Crossley/Ellison (1990), Bell/Hallam (1995 etc).
ravenous25
On the Starting Grid

Still got a few blanks to fill in but the Peter Chapman Trophy winners between 1974 and 1989 were:

1974 Rolf Steinhausen/Karl Scheurer
1976 Mac Hobson/Mick Burns
1977 Mac Hobson/Stu Collins
1978 Rolf Steinhausen/Wolfgang Kalauch
1979 Rolf Steinhausen/Kenny Arthur
1980 Jock Taylor/Benga Johansson
1981 Jock Taylor/Benga Johansson
1983 Barry Brindley/Chris Jones
1985 Kenny Howles/Steve Pointer
1986 Dave Saville/Dave Hall
1987 Dave Saville/Dave Hall
1988 Mike Hamblin/Robert Smith
1989 Dave Saville/Richard Crossley
oldbelly
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes
Full Name: Geoff Bell

Unread post by oldbelly »

The Newcomers winner has always been a bit hit and miss.I cant remember the years but Tom Hanks won it after passengering with Roy for years. Fair enough but after that Vince Butler was the "winner" but did not qualify because he had passengered Rob Fisher in 93. I put his case forward as riders rep but the powers that be refused to accept that Vince was a newcomer ?
jester
On the Starting Grid

Unread post by jester »

Same organizers cock up different year again, when will they bother to check who has passengered or riden the tt befor or just change the name to this is who i think should have the trophy Trophy
2008 newcomer tim/ patrick ?????????? :lol:
dont play with that it will fall off
jester
On the Starting Grid

Unread post by jester »

ravenous 25 if you read the the rules on how o qualify you will see the the passenger and driver both have to be newcomers to the tt that year never having riden or raced prior so how can a driver still win it when the passenger has raced the islan befor mr phillips you need to sort this out as it happens too often, its not rocket science
dont play with that it will fall off
flexford
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Back Room Staff
Full Name: Kelly Lewis

Unread post by flexford »

Can we please just remember that in 2012 the passenger and driver are split:

Charlie Richardson correctly won the Dave Wells trophy whilst passengering Frank Lelias

Mark Saunders should have won the Peter Chapman trophy for best newcomer driver but instead it was awarded to Dave ..... I will try and phone Paul Phillips again next week (I have ran out of time to try again this week due to it being the end of financial year) to try and get it corrected.

Sorry to sound a little sharp but the trophy for best newcomer passenger has been correctly awarded and Charlie thoroughly deserved to win it
....your biggest weakness is to think you have none!
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

Kelly, bang on ! It makes more sense now to have the two. I didn't realise that the other trophy had been handed out for something else before. I love this place, the things you learn :D
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
ravenous25
On the Starting Grid

jester - I understand what the rules state, the point I've been trying to make (from my first post) is that there's no consistency in the awarding of the trophy. The names I've listed as winners were as pubished/awarded by the official organisers whether it be 1990, 1995 or 2008!
sarah wells
Fired Up

Unread post by sarah wells »

I can confirm the Dave Wells Trophy is for the highest place newcomer passenger regardless of whether the driver has participated or not. I stated this when organising the trophy as Dad wanted it that way because he said the newcomer passengers didn't get the recognition they deserve.

I'm sure no one is disputing this but just to clarify incase it caused any confusion.

thanks
love many, trust few learn to paddle your own canoe.
Helen Gibson
Sniffing a Victory
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger (ret'd)
Full Name: Helen Gibson

Unread post by Helen Gibson »

.. and the first winner was certainly a deserving one. Well done, young Charlie... hope to see you at the TT for at least as many years as Wellsy!
Happiness is three-wheeled.
oldbelly
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes
Full Name: Geoff Bell

Unread post by oldbelly »

Helen Gibson wrote:.. and the first winner was certainly a deserving one. Well done, young Charlie... hope to see you at the TT for at least as many years as Wellsy!
Think the bug will have bitten Helen. :D
Helen Gibson
Sniffing a Victory
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger (ret'd)
Full Name: Helen Gibson

Unread post by Helen Gibson »

Bloomin' TT virus... and the S100 one....
Happiness is three-wheeled.