CLASSIC RACING IN 25 YEARS TIME.

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
ianw
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes

CLASSIC RACING IN 25 YEARS TIME.

Unread post by ianw »

I just cannot picture classic sidecar racing in 25 years time, wandering around the paddock having a look at all the outfits as you do. Only problem will be is that all the bloody engines will be the same, you will be able to pick from one of four manufacturers & that is it, they will also all sound the bloody same.
When will a bit of innovation be allowed back into sidecar racing, & I dont just mean the latest LCR F2 because that is only a variation on a theme.
I had a Fidderman chassis in 1982 that had virtually the same rear suspension set up as the LCR F2 has!
lee a
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: passenger
Full Name: lee aubrey

Unread post by lee a »

i agree,perhaps its time to go front exit (retro is all the rage now)
Do you drive a ford?i work in fords engine plant...I drive a vauxhall
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

At least the racing will be close and worth watching. :D
The more similar the machines the closer the racing, can only be good for the sporting side of it.
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
lee a
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: passenger
Full Name: lee aubrey

Unread post by lee a »

how old have the outfits have to be to be to go classic racing or forgotten era?
Do you drive a ford?i work in fords engine plant...I drive a vauxhall
Bob B
Smashed all the Records
D/P/T/M/S: BTDTGTTS
Full Name: Bob Bird
Skype contact: janebob47210
Twitter: Sod Twitter, banned

Unread post by Bob B »

For CRMC racing - four strokes nothing past 1972 and strokers 1968. Unlike VMCC, which has a 25 year cut-off rule, CRMC dates are fixed and will not be moved unless by a vote at an AGM/EGM
It is true about the sidecar family - you can stop racing but you can never, ever leave!
dickyholdsworth
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Ex Driver
Full Name: Dickyholdsworth

Unread post by dickyholdsworth »

Yes Ian but in 25 years time if there is any racing it will probably be on silent electric sidecars, so imagine how wonderful any 4 stroke engine will be then :lol: ;)
TomGWRacing
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: As little as possibl

Unread post by TomGWRacing »

Thats interesting Bob, 25 year cut off,, Ok how do i go about getting my old ireson carbon date tested,,,, it was a 350 to start with but been choppered about for a 4stroke, i think its an early to mid 80s job, fingers crossed ;)
When is this country gona get some back bone and tell Brussels where to shove it
Bob B
Smashed all the Records

Unread post by Bob B »

Looks like VMCC for you then TOm. Strange thing is that 'Vintage' bikes will be newer than Classics :roll:
It is true about the sidecar family - you can stop racing but you can never, ever leave!
Triplebrew
Sniffing a Victory
D/P/T/M/S: Ballast
Full Name: Ian Tapsell

Unread post by Triplebrew »

Thats interesting Bob, 25 year cut off,, Ok how do i go about getting my old ireson carbon date tested,,,, it was a 350 to start with but been choppered about for a 4stroke, i think its an early to mid 80s job, fingers crossed
Ah, but it is not Japanese is it? Being as they have a NO Japanese thing at the moment
2011 MR Equipe Trident

It's A Triple Thing!

http://www.triplebrewracing.co.uk"

To finish first, first you must finish.
Bob B
Smashed all the Records

Unread post by Bob B »

Tend to disagree a tad there about the Honda embargo Ian - there is I believe at least one Honda 750 outfit there now plus Mick McGinley's S800 powered machine. Have a look in the 125, 250 and bigger solo classes to see how many Hondas there are, which apart from the CR93s, are all road based bikes.

The 'anti-Japanese't hing of a 1967 cutoff date for smokey strokers was to stop the 250/350 classes being invaded and totally dominated by Yamaha TDs and such - some in the period were even raced as 351cc jobs in the 500 class. Also have a look at some of the very quick Suzuki 250 fliers based on the Super 6 that won the 1966 Thruxton 500 miler (ridden by Chris Vincent!)....

Tom - got any pics of your ex 350 chassis we can see? Would help to get things started perhaps :idea:
TomGWRacing
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: As little as possibl

Unread post by TomGWRacing »

Hello Bob,
Not at the moment mate, well nothing that shows the frame, but im bringing her home soon , so ill get the box brownie out.
In the meantime, if it helps,, i have the old 350 tubes still on the s/head they were just cut off after the gusset plates and the rear edge of the platform is stepped not flat like the later bikes,,, might be worth talking to God when i have time to get there,,,, i think he would have a good idea of its build date.
Im also looking into a big wheel set up not sure what yet but thinking along the lines of Beemer or a Trumpfy,,,,,,,,,,,, but that one for the future ;)
When is this country gona get some back bone and tell Brussels where to shove it
Triplebrew
Sniffing a Victory

Bob the CRMC have a Honda running with them now but I am sure the VMCC (in their wisdom?) have elected to ban Japanese machinery from their meetings? That is certainly the impression I get from looking at their Forum.
2011 MR Equipe Trident

It's A Triple Thing!

Triplebrew
Sniffing a Victory

Bob the CRMC have a Honda running with them now but I am sure the VMCC (in their wisdom?) have elected to ban Japanese machinery from their meetings? That is certainly the impression I get from looking at their Forum.
2011 MR Equipe Trident

It's A Triple Thing!

Bob B
Smashed all the Records

Unread post by Bob B »

Thanx Ian, must admit I don't look at the VMCC Forum, perhaps I should :!: