Complete novice, looking to have a go.

Tell us when you're available and what region you are willing to travel to..
Mdlosci
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger
Full Name: Patrick Lawton

Complete novice, looking to have a go.

Unread post by Mdlosci »

6'5"
17st
Can travel nationally with enough notice.

Absolutely caught the sidecar bug at the TT and I'm looking to give it a go and would like to see if I enjoy it before committing to losing weight/sorting licenses and money.

I'd be looking to do a few laps or a session or anything in between. Preferably with someone who doesn't mind playing babysitter for a bit. Not fussed about what it'd be on.

Happy to contribute to costs/food/drink and do any humping and dumping that's required.

Drop me a message on 07946777109 or on here.

Cheers all.
Digger
On the Starting Grid
Full Name: David Hammond

Re: Complete novice, looking to have a go.

Unread post by Digger »

The important question is do you have your ACU licence?

It's a bit of a catch 22, but there are ways to get on an outfit.

Without a licence, the easiest way to get on an outfit, is to do a taxi ride... I believe they are doing them at Brands Hatch. Pay your money, get a few laps in, you're not really expected to work the corners... but you can if you're comfortable. Granted it's not race pace, but it's plenty quick enough to put smiles on faces :D Plus the cash goes to a choosen charity.

I say I'd have been happy with a taxi ride, however after meeting Rob Child at Mallory back in May, I was told "taxi rides are OK, but if you want a proper go, go get your licence"... I'd got my licence before I did a taxi ride or two with Slow Phil at Donington Park :lol: I'm fairly sure I'd have got the bug either way.

If you've already got an ACU Gold sticker helmet, 1 piece leathers, boots, then you're half way there, and it's a case of going doing your CTC, I did mine with No Limits Racing, as they seem to do lots of courses throughout the year, e-mail or ring them as it's cheaper for the CTC only.

With hindsight, I should've borrowed a bike, done the on track assesment and ticked driver & solo boxes whilst I was there.

That said, you may already have your licence, in which case, it's a case of finding a ride.

My first few races were on the BEARS, I know some snigger at them, but they're great fun, really friendly paddock, and a great way to learn the basics of being a passenger. It's always worth getting down to a few meetings, introduce yourself to people, and you'll soon be on your way.
Mdlosci
In Collection Area
Full Name: Patrick Lawton

Unread post by Mdlosci »

Cheers for the advice, it's much appreciated.

As it stands i have all the kit but not a license, so i'll look into getting that sorted first.

In terms of Taxi rides is there any clubs that post these up in advance or is it just a case of keeping my ear to the ground?

I think knocking round in the paddocks is a good shout, i spend most sundays at the races anyway :D

Who/what is bears, i've done some googling but i'm not certain where to look exactly?
Eric & Julie
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: D&P
Full Name: Eric Lenser
Twitter: eric_ledebile

Unread post by Eric & Julie »

BEARS is British, European American Race Series. A name created a few years back to have a class that doesn't include Japanese bikes. The term is also used in solos, but here it was used to create a class of simple low budget racing. Often 90s BMWs or Guzzies with simple sidecar outfits. Some mock them as being not serious sidecars, but they seem to offer really good fun for minimum investment.
Digger
On the Starting Grid

Unread post by Digger »

If you've the gear already then a licence may be the best option.

I heard there's taxi rides at Brands Hatch, in October with Bemsee. Not sure if there will be any at the bash at Cadwell, there was at the revival meeting.

Have a chat with people in the Paddock, most are happy to talk and give you advice.

I think the BEARS are brilliant, a different experience to an F2... it's a Solo machine with a side car literally bolted to the side, and handle as such, but still people ride them as fast & hard as they can :lol:

What circuits do you frequent?
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

Come to brands early October, there will be taxi rides with F1 f2 and bears.
Have a go on all of them so you can feel the difference.

I ride bears as passenger with Kev, if you see this bike come say hello :-)
FB_IMG_1524057214616.jpg
FB_IMG_1524057214616.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 6140 times
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
Digger
On the Starting Grid

Unread post by Digger »