Potential for sidecars to go to Phillip Island in 2019

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
jdaley
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: John Daley

Potential for sidecars to go to Phillip Island in 2019

Unread post by jdaley »

I would like to start a conversation about the Island Classic and potential sidecar teams coming over.
Max Hooper and myself have been banging on about sidecars for a long time, this year with Tim Reeves and the inclusion of the F2 outfits we had great racing from a spectators point of view.
Max explained he has spoken with Tim and the Island management about encouraging some machines to come out.
I have no authority to speak on behalf of the Island Classic management, but as Chairman of the Historic Management Committee, one of my roles is to promote Historic racing.
We have some ideas about encouraging some Classic machines from the 1970-80's eras of sidecar racing to 'come on down'. We run mainly japaneses engines here, and we think some of your car engine powered and BSA , BMW twin or triple cylinder machines would be much something special.
At this stage, we are looking to see what would be available to come out, Max intends to discuss things with Tim, via email, and if anybody has a better ideas, let me know and we can include that.
We have limited grid numbers, 30 available, and I personally would expect up to 6 sidecars would be welcomed from UK or Europe.

I would expect this post to be moved to a better location, I started it here because of the results being listed. Regards to all
John Daley
Sidecar racer
Bendigo, Australia
jdaley
On the Starting Grid

Re: Potential for sidecars to go to Phillip Island in 2019

Unread post by jdaley »

I have to ask, would there be any interest in this venture. I was told that 3 others sidecar teams in the UK had already asked to race there, but nothing has been organised yet. So is the interest real?
Thanks
John Daley
Sidecar racer
Bendigo, Australia
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

I will copy this across to the Sidecar Paddock part of the forum and stir some people up to check it out :thumbup:
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
dcholden 99
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: David Holden

Unread post by dcholden 99 »

I would be very interested in brining over my P1 (CRMC) Sidecar for the Philip Island Classic. I have previously tried to find out how I could make it under my own steam. If invitations were forthcoming and we could find a way to share some of the transport costs we would be there ! Thanks David (Holden) 99
jdaley
On the Starting Grid

Unread post by jdaley »

Thanks, can you tell me about your machine?
Max and I are doing this leg work following discussions here with people interested in getting chairs to Phillip Island [PI]
If we find say, 6 keen, we can then move to the next stage of planning
John Daley
Sidecar racer
Bendigo, Australia
AndyP2
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Andy Percy

Unread post by AndyP2 »

Hi John we could be interested depending on transport costs etc to come across with ex Trevor Ireson TT winning TZ750 and ex George O'Dell Tin Windle TZ750.
Cheers Andy
jdaley
On the Starting Grid

Unread post by jdaley »

Its good to see some response.
As stated earlier, Tim Reeves has been asked to liase between the groups in the UK and Max Hooper in Australia to find machines that we would never see in Australia.
I did suggest the sort of machines that may work for us. At this stage its all exploring and if any of you can leave me a note here, and perhaps discuss things with Tim, that may clear a path for everybody.
As I said at the start, we are not acting for anybody, but trying to get groups talking, so an outcome of more sidecars at PI may happen.
regards
John Daley
Sidecar racer
Bendigo, Australia