Wrist Fracture

Loads of stuff, about all sorts including congrats. Join in. Relax.
The Racing stuff goes on elsewhere mostly..
Karl
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Ex Passenger
Full Name: Karl Firmin

Wrist Fracture

Unread post by Karl »

Anyone had their wrist plated?

Whats the after care? After the op do they still put you in a cast or do you just get a wound dressing over the incision? Obviously no heavy work but would I still be able to drive a car?
Haynesy
Setting the Fastest Lap
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger
Full Name: andrew haynes

Re: Wrist Fracture

Unread post by Haynesy »

I had my forearm plated 11 days ago. They said before the op I'd have it plastered, but all I've had on it is a padded bandage and that has been fine.

I was back at work, office based, 5 days after the op. The physio and aftercare advice in the hospital was to do as much as I could do, as long as it wasn't painful and no load bearing exercises until 5/6 weeks post opp. They showed me a few basic mobility exercises to do and said give a 2 weeks before you drive, but as long as you feel you've got enough movement and strength to drive then feel free to do so. And that was it.

I go to the fracture clinic, 2 weeks post op, where they'll take the stitches out, do an x-ray and I'm going to push for some physio as well. So I'm not going to drive until I've been for that appointment just to be on the safe side - however I feel strong enough to drive now. Just don't ask to juggle at the moment! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My collar bone was plated at the same time, and the aftercare instructions are the same.

Hope that helps!

Karl

Unread post by Karl »

Cheers Andrew, thanks for the feedback. I've got private medical cover through work, they've confirmed if there's a delay in surgery and consultant also does private then they will cover it. Also I can self authorise any physio I need.
Kickaha
Setting the Fastest Lap
D/P/T/M/S: Rider
Full Name: Warwick Demmocks

Unread post by Kickaha »

Check with your insurance company about driving, over here sometimes you won't be covered if you're in a cast or don't have a medical clearance

I've had wrist fractures but without plating, 6 -8 weeks in plaster and the same again to get full strength and mobilitu
"The rider gets the glory, the passenger gets the blame"
Karl

Unread post by Karl »

Had my Op on Friday. The wound was dressed but I've been put in a backslab for 2 weeks, and after review this might be extended to 4 weeks.