Looking for info on William Browning

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
Simon Smith
Throttle on the Stop
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Simon Smith
Twitter: @simonsmithno92

Looking for info on William Browning

Unread post by Simon Smith »

From Russ Gardener:

I have been sent this mail....can anyone out there help

My name is Joe Perry and I have been trying to locate an old RAF pal from the 1960s. His name is William Roy Browning and he was an enthusiastic sidecar racer.
I have established he was involved in a race accident and subsequently lost his life.

Pete Stowe from the Castle Combe circuit has given me a lot of information and as suggested I contact yourself.

I understand North Glos MCC held a race meeting at Colerne airfield on 18th September 1983 and it is likely at this event that the fatal accident happened.
Pete also said that a 'Roy Browning Memorial Trophy' is listed as a special award in the North Glos club.
I don't know if his brother Roger survived the accident, or if your club has any ongoing contact with his family
I live in France now and I would be very grateful for any other information you could provide. I would like to contact his family eventually.

I would very much appreciate any assistance and look forward to a reply.
Sideslip
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Ex driver F2

Re: Looking for info on William Browning

Unread post by Sideslip »

I just did a quick internet search on Roy Browning and came up with this link. Don't know if it helps?
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... =ms&n=5421
The strange thing is..........I never knew Roy, but I was North Gloucester MC club F2 champion for 2 years, having raced at Colerne in the '90s, I have donated a perpetual trophy to NG racing and I currently live in Braunton, Devon.
Spooky, eh?
Older - but none the wiser
kew
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: Keith Walters

Re: Looking for info on William Browning

Unread post by kew »

When I moved down to live in Barnstaple in 1972 Roger and Roy Browning were racing a Triumph outfit and they provided the push for me to buy my first outfit, an 830cc Rumble BSA.
After Roy lost his life at Colerne Roger gave the club a trophy to be awarded to the best placed 4 stroke in the club championship. This was at the time when 2 strokes were winning everything. Obviously now that there are only 4 strokes racing the trophy is no longer awarded.
I will contact Russ and give him the info I have.
I took the shell off my racing snail thinking it would make him faster.
It just made him more sluggish.