Windle (350) on ebay

Classics, Post Classics, F350's, Vintage, Road Outfits
Stevieweavie
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: S
Full Name: Steve Denbigh

Windle (350) on ebay

Unread post by Stevieweavie »

Spotted this outfit on ebay [ebay]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Windl ... SwIWVY~Qjo[/ebay] thought I'd post it here incase a anyone fancied it

Sure there was a thread about this outfit on this site before, but can't find it. Could keep it as it is now or restore it back to original (that supercharged engine ought to do decent money to someone building a streetfighter on a budget)
Spewy555
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Andy Ewings

Re: Windle (350) on ebay

Unread post by Spewy555 »

I'm seriously considering it, I won't be able to get out for a a few years as I'm still recovering from a rather hefty divorce, but was thinking about a bit of parading, is it the right sort of thing do you think?
G JONES
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: D
Full Name: Gordon Jones

Unread post by G JONES »

Spewy555 wrote:I'm seriously considering it, I won't be able to get out for a a few years as I'm still recovering from a rather hefty divorce, but was thinking about a bit of parading, is it the right sort of thing do you think?
Well - that looks like it's the windle that Paul Iwanski had a few years ago - I think originally owned by Eddy Wright.
It had a TZ350 motor in it back in the days it was raced competitively - it did have a Banshee motor fitted for a while before it was sold to I guess the current owner - it has had quite a few mods since it was a winning bike in the hands of Paul & Eddy...
What do you mean by "Parading" ?
2 strokes are the future...
TZ Parts List
http://tz350.co.uk
Had to laugh at this I heard somewhere... "You can't polish a Turd"
Spewy555
Fired Up

Some of the clubs have period and other interesting machines do a few laps during the lunch break , it's nothing too exciting but if this machine has a bit of history it may be legible.
G JONES
Lapping the Tail Enders

Unread post by G JONES »

Spewy555 wrote:Some of the clubs have period and other interesting machines do a few laps during the lunch break , it's nothing too exciting but if this machine has a bit of history it may be legible.
Well - it did have a history - not sure if running the engine it now has would qualify as history though...buy it - put a 350 engine back in it and join us in racing it - lot more fun & you'd get to have lunch as well... :D
TZ Parts List
Spewy555
Fired Up

Good point , I'll talk to the seller!
Spewy555
Fired Up

Deal done.... what next then?
Stevieweavie
On the Starting Grid

Whats the plan with it, parading, hillclimbing or racing, and are you putting it back to origional with a tz350 (not sure if you're aware but theres still plenty of parts readily available, the engine was further developed for use in Yamahas "banshee" quad that they made up until a few years ago).
Spewy555
Fired Up

Well, I reckon financially I'll have to stick to some parading for a while, so whatever history I can find on this bike will be a great help, I'll have a serious think about finding a tz350 in the meantime, I've not had a lot to do with that type of engine but it would be nice to put it all back to how it was in the future. Am I right in thinking I only need a dvla license for parading?
Stevieweavie
On the Starting Grid

I'm no expert, I've never paraded anything, I do know the acu road racing licence application form has a box to tick for parading (and a box for passenger parading). Racing needn't be as expensive as you might think, especially if you only do a handful of one day meetings a year, even better if you find a passenger that can put something towards.
Sideslip
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Ex driver F2

Unread post by Sideslip »

Spewy555 wrote:Well, I reckon financially I'll have to stick to some parading for a while, so whatever history I can find on this bike will be a great help, I'll have a serious think about finding a tz350 in the meantime, I've not had a lot to do with that type of engine but it would be nice to put it all back to how it was in the future. Am I right in thinking I only need a dvla license for parading?
There's a thread about the outfit on this forum from a couple or three years ago.
The outfit was originally owned by Eddy Wright, who then sold it to Paul Iwanski who won the British Clubman Chapionship on it in 1991 (I think).
It would be nice to see it converted back to original spec.
Older - but none the wiser
G JONES
Lapping the Tail Enders

Unread post by G JONES »

Sideslip wrote:There's a thread about the outfit on this forum from a couple or three years ago.
The outfit was originally owned by Eddy Wright, who then sold it to Paul Iwanski who won the British Clubman Chapionship on it in 1991 (I think).
It would be nice to see it converted back to original spec.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=38994
TZ Parts List
Spewy555
Fired Up

Cheers for the replies guys, would anyone have any pictures of the outfit in its heyday? I will be looking to put it back to as close to original as possible in the future but I'm guessing a TZengine is not a cheap item!
G JONES
Lapping the Tail Enders

Unread post by G JONES »

Spewy555 wrote:Cheers for the replies guys, would anyone have any pictures of the outfit in its heyday? I will be looking to put it back to as close to original as possible in the future but I'm guessing a TZengine is not a cheap item!
Here's a photo of the bike before it had the foul stroke fitted...
CIMG3802.jpg
CIMG3802.jpg (322.56 KiB) Viewed 15461 times
I guess "cheap" is a relative term - prices do vary for a TZ350 engine - although anything bought at the lower end will almost always need a complete overhaul - best thing about that is at least you know exactly what you have at the end...
It is possible to source almost all the parts you need - crankcases can be modified from road going air cooled RD250 to start with - build from there & add parts as you find them...

I'll add a note to that - a TZ engine will usually hold it's value quite well - you can usually sell for very near buying price - plenty of people still using them...
Whatever anyone tells you about high running costs is likely to be exaggerated - if they are put together carefully - they are very good - lots of better parts available these days - and 40 odd years of refinements..
TZ Parts List
Spewy555
Fired Up

Thanks for the info, I will have a serious think about which direction to go. Any idea of what the outfit originally looked like , bodywork and colour etc?