Fred Clarke commentator retires from BSB

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Fred Clarke commentator retires from BSB

Unread post by steve-e »

From Fred on FB

There is no easy way to say this, but following a lengthy period of soul searching and contemplation, It is, with sadness, that I inform you of my decision to retire from the BSB Commentary Box. My 'shift' has now come to an end, and I will not be returning in 2022.

My whole life has centred around motorcycle racing. From standing trackside at Silverstone in the 1950's, to becoming formally involved in the Paddock from 1960 onwards, and then by accident, moving into commentary some 56 years ago.

Highlights include commentating at 43 consecutive British GP's, held at Silverstone and Donington Park (1977 - 2019). Every World Superbike meeting held in UK, and even the hugely popular Trans-Atlantic Match Races, which began in 1971, plus being Series Commentator at BSB & it's predecessor, since the dawn of time!

I've enjoyed a wonderful life in the world of motorsport, which as well as motor cycles, also included commentary on Kart racing, British Touring Cars, FIA F3000 Birmingham 'Super Prix' Street Race of 1986, World Championship Car Rallying, British & International Truck Racing, World Championship Moto X, and the Isle of Man TT.

Alas, time waits for no man. I am currently 77 years of age, and feel that now is the time to hang up the 'mic, so that for my remaining years, I can re-direct my undivided attention to the other love of my life, my wife Sandra, who for the 51 years we have been married, has without complaint played 'second fiddle' to my world of motor cycle racing.

Yes, I will ,certainly miss all that I've known & loved throughout my 60 years in racing, not least the countless wonderful people I've met, including the marvellous fans who have been ultra-generous to me with their flattering accolades.

There are far too many people for me to thank individually, with but the following exceptions;

Special thanks go to my lifelong friend Bruce Cox, who back in the 60's was responsible for setting me on a path that unwittingly was to lead to the world of commentating.

I also thank 'The Guvnor', BSB Series & Race Director Stuart Higgs, for not 'interfering' & simply allowing me to do the job....'my way'.

Thanks go to my assistant of countless years, the now retired, Geoff 'Baldrick' Judges.

Equally, my thanks & gratitude go to Paul Bird, for his friendship, as well as allowing me unrestricted access to the PBM Team Hospitality over many years.

But my biggest debt of gratitude goes to my commentating partner for the past 21 years, my good friend, Larry 'Scoop' Carter, who's professionalism, knowledge & ability are second to non. I could not have asked for anyone better to have worked alongside.

I also offer my heartfelt thanks to those who recently responded here on Facebook with such touching messages of congratulation upon my receiving the 'BSB 25 years Outstanding Contribution Award'. I was staggered & flattered by both the content and sheer volume.

This Award sits proudly alongside the "Special Achievement Award" given to me by the 'David Jefferies Foundation' in 2009, and the "MCN Dave Taylor Lifetime Achievement Award" presented to me in 2011 - all tangible reminders of my time spent in the4 Commentary Box.

Finally, I hope you've enjoyed the 'Fred and Scoop Show' over the years, as well as the commentaries. I've had a blast, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. But for me, the 'Show' is now over, and it only remains to say............."From myself Fred Clarke, it's Goodbye my friends and thank you so much for listening".
FB_IMG_1638446724618.jpg
FB_IMG_1638446724618.jpg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember