Getting started, by Nev Jones

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Getting started, by Nev Jones

Unread post by steve-e »

Pinched this from an FB post.

Nev Jones Racing
As promised, a quick guide to becoming a Road Race Sidecar Passenger.

First, you'll need a licence which you can get from the ACU Website.. https://www.acu.org.uk/ridersmembers/license-forms.aspx

Most of it is self assessment, but you will need an eye test and the optician will have to fill out and sign the form. Costs vary, but you should get it done for £20 or so?

As a first time applicant, you'll also need to do a Classroom Training course (CTC) Courses and venues are here:

http://www.acu.org.uk/ACU-Events/Compet ... ourse.aspx

Then all you'll need is one piece leathers, gloves, helmet, boots and a dog tag. All must be in good condition, no rips etc, gloves and boots must be all leathers, helmet should be no older than 2 years old.

Then get yourself a ride. Several ways.
1. Go to Steves Place, register on the forum, and either advertise your services or answer an ad by a driver. Link here:
http://www.steveenglish.com/
2. Get to a club meeting EARLY (before 9am). Take your gear. Ask around, and listen to the tannoy. Sometimes, last minute problems mean a passenger doesn't turn up. You might find a ride at last minute. Talk to competitors, someone might know a driver who is sat at home because he didn't have a passenger, and he might be the regular ride you're looking for.
3. Talk to mates. You might find a kindred spirit who wants to race and he'll end up being a driver. Form a team, buy an outfit, get it on track and have fun!

Want to do the TT? That's great, but realistically, it will take a minimum of 3 years to reach a level where you'll get a mountain course licence. And with good reason. It's not easy! Passengers make it look easy because they have put in the track time to know what they are doing in any given situation. And the TT course will challenge even the best. So, aim high, but be prepared to do the work to get there. Trust me, IT IS WORTH IT!!!!

Good luck, and we hope we'll see some of you out there soon!
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
Jayne Morris
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: passenger
Full Name: Mozzer
Twitter: jayne m82

Re: Getting started, by Nev Jones

Unread post by Jayne Morris »

Nev read our minds I was doing this as we discussed

Done now though I'll delete mine :lol:
Always smiling where racing is concerned :-)
KatieMsidecar
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: Marianne Walford

Unread post by KatieMsidecar »

3. Talk to friends. You might talk to a kindred spirit who wants to race and you or he or she will end up being the driver. There are not many of us, but women can drive too - look at Estelle LeBlond! There are plenty of women passengers, from club to championship race meetings.

4. Look out for taxi rides at various events, particularly this time of year at the end of season. Very rarely, there are practice days at Teeside Autodrome, Llandow (South Wales) and other circuits where anyone can come along and have a go. Often these days are in March or April at the beginning of the season.

Marianne
Alan Richardson
Setting the Fastest Lap
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Alan

Unread post by Alan Richardson »

Also, buy a back protector. Dont even think about going out without one.
steve-e
Site Admin

Unread post by steve-e »

^^^ what Alan said. Worth every penny.
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
Digger
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger
Full Name: David Hammond

Unread post by Digger »

Had an excellent day down at Mallory Park, and met up with Rob Child in the paddock, and got a few pointers.

Considering the relatively low costs involved, the plan at the moment seem's to be:

Sit CTC, join a club, get a novice passenger licence, and see if I can get on board for a few sessions preferably on practice days, rather than jump in at the deep end. :lol:

I've looked at a few clubs that race sidecars, but they've no ACU courses until towards the end of the year. There are other ACU courses, but they're more geared up for solo riding, and the clubs hosting them don't race sidecars :cry:

Do you need to sit the CTC with the club you're joining?

Or could I join Darley Moor, sit my CTC with any club (there's a course at Donnington with NLR in May), and send my application off with the Darley Moor membership information?
steve-e
Site Admin

Unread post by steve-e »

You can join more than one club. If it's more convenient to pay £20-30 club to join the club doing it when you want, join both ;)
Digger
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: Passenger
Full Name: David Hammond

Unread post by Digger »

Doing the couse at Donnington on 10th, which includes membership to their club, but still works out cheaper than the diesel to drive to the next closest course.

Just need my eye report doing.

A mate has some 1pc leathers sale, however have a speed hump on the back :roll: I'd rather they didn't, not sure if it a big issue as a passenger?
neandethal
Fired Up

Unread post by neandethal »

Hi,
I'm thinking of returning to the fold after 10 years away(F350 and F2) and my prospective passenger has never even sat on a moving sidecar, but is game!
Before I substantially reduce the balance in my bank account only to find he hates it, is there an upcoming event where he could get a taxi ride or a testing day where he could be given an introductory experience?
We are midlands based.
Run out of cranks so switched to diesel R6!
steve-e
Site Admin

Unread post by steve-e »

There is something up at Teeside that Greg Lambert is putting together. Apart from that I don't know of any taxi rides planned at the moment. This is Greg's post on FV

3rd of may sidecar track day for passengers if anyone who would to go in a sidecar for the 1st time or someone already racing and would like to learn more about sidecars or if youve always wanted to go on a sidecar nows your chance only so many places available its for the whole day food and drinks included please pm me or email greg_lambert_racing@yahoo.com or contact me.last one before i got to the isle of man tt races 07980292819 thanks greg