Trying to date our Owen Greenwood sidecar chassis

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
Bob Zwarts
On the Starting Grid
Full Name: Bob Zwarts

Re: Trying to date our Owen Greenwood sidecar chassis

Unread post by Bob Zwarts »

I am hoping a photo will appear with this reply. It is the Owen Greenwood Triumph outfit, as he raced it with the VMCC. The photo is from VMCC Darley Moor, Aug. 2000 when Bill Curvis was the owner/rider.
Owen Greenwood Triumph outfit. VMCC Darley Moor, Aug. 2000.jpg
tonybsa2008
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: tony wheatley

Unread post by tonybsa2008 »

Tony Bannister in the background.
Bob Zwarts
On the Starting Grid
Full Name: Bob Zwarts

Unread post by Bob Zwarts »

Correct Tony. It's rather frightening to think this photo was taken 15 years ago - even Tony Bannister looks young here!
Willcurvis
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: S
Full Name: Will curvis

Unread post by Willcurvis »

Hiya, I stumbled across this post while trying to track down some photos/videos of Bill Curvis (I'm his son). He doesnt really do technology but happy to put anyone in touch with him if they want to discuss the Triumph (or anything else racing related!). & if anyone does have any good photos/videos knocking around I'd love to see them!

Thanks,
Will.
gmc
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: Ex Passenger
Full Name: george michael cutts

Unread post by gmc »

with ref to dick tapken outfit bought from ripley .it came from graham Clifton who bought the frame and forks from Owen greenwood late 1966and built up with 16" spoke wheels with gold star brakes (crap for an outfit) with a 650 triumph tuned by Dudley Johnson of Matlock (it flew)graham and I had raced grass a few years with a paddy lynch modified Norton framed outfit .our first meeting on the road was darley moor 1968 gualified for b final up to 2nd out of hairpin 1st lap it went straight on at paddock (crap brakes) anyone got any photos from this meeting hope this gives dick a idea where his outfit came from no more road racing until 2007 f350 mock cutts(passenger)
dick tapken
Lapping the Tail Enders

Unread post by dick tapken »

george,well thank's for a reply great to hear about my first outfit remember buying and collecting the outfit from ripley had to put it on the wall and 3 of us wheeled it out the entry first removing some ladder's ,yes the motor was a flyer but,the brake's were non existant !! i fitted a twin leading brake plate thought it will stop now away we went at darley braked for park ,anchor plate broke completly out of the hub straight through the banking very lucky just cuts and bruising for myself and ray my passenger ,had 2 good year's starting how to race ca'nt remember who or where it went still riding next year will be my 53rd season and still get a great kick from it !!
gmc
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: Ex Passenger
Full Name: george michael cutts

Unread post by gmc »

Hi dick darley moor not very lucky for that outfit when we crashed at paddock bend it broke the sidecar wheel spindle did the bike have number 7 on it? Mick
dick tapken
Lapping the Tail Enders

Unread post by dick tapken »

george ,my very first ride we had on that bike was at oulton park we finished 11th ,never ever thought we would attain the speed of those that passed us but we did !!,wonder where it ended up. i ca'nt even remember who i sold it too? do'nt think we ran 7 usually a good number for me lol dick
RP
Endangered Species - I watched England win the Soccer World Cup
D/P/T/M/S: Classic driver
Full Name: Roly Pickett
Twitter: rolandpickett

Unread post by RP »

Helmut Mann.jpg
Helmut Mann.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
Helmut Mann 2.jpg
Helmut Mann 2.jpg (244.15 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
I used to passenger a Greenwood outfit in the sixties. It was purchased from Dick Maplethorpe at Holbeach and it still exists ( in a diapidated state ) in a yard near Peterborough. It was Triumph powered, RRT2 gearbox, Manx rear hub, 7R front brake.
Buttiens-J
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: D&P
Full Name: Jelle

Unread post by Buttiens-J »

Well I can’t help you with the kneeler outfit. But I can tell you where the sitter went. It’s currently in my garage getting prepared for next season. It had a crash at Gedinne a few years ago, bending the fork legs, and hasn’t raced since. I’ll try to post some pictures somehow.