Bernie Jones

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
Bengarzy
In Collection Area
D/P/T/M/S: D
Full Name: Hugh Taylor

Bernie Jones

Unread post by Bengarzy »

Bernie Jones raced Dale Wards immaculate Triumph outfit for a few seasons, we had many great races together and it would be nice to catch up after about 44 years, anyone on here know of his whearabouts?
Caught up with another racer last year called Norman Keightley, we had an old photo to show him of his front forks breaking off as he entered the left handed of the esses after the home straight of the original Snetterton circuit, great times.
biker bernard
In Collection Area
Full Name: bernard jones

Re: Bernie Jones

Unread post by biker bernard »

Hi Hugh, yes I am here, trust you are still with us. I just joined this site, nearly 6 years late in reply. I won't go into detail, until I know you are still a member and receiving this.
Bernard
Bengarzy
In Collection Area
Full Name: Hugh Taylor

Unread post by Bengarzy »

Hi Bernie,
Yep, I’m still about and ok, retired but still do the odd track day for fun.
What are you up too these days?
I still see Dave Emmerson occasionally (my passenger) he’s into classic stuff.
A few years back we found Norman Keightly and his brother and gave them a set of pics that have them crashing out with broken forks at the left hander of the Esses at Snetterton, you would have almost certainly been in that race as all three of us were at same meetings together and had a good time.
I had to retire through lack of funds in 1970 and sold my outfit to Roger Dutton,an international racer from Suffolk, he said it was the best handling outfit he ever raced, he’s still about and in his late 80s.
Be good to hear how you’re doing, we had so many great races together, Dave often mentions you and that ex Dale Ward outfit you raced.
Cheers for now
Email is bengarzy2@hotmail.com
biker bernard
In Collection Area
Full Name: bernard jones

Unread post by biker bernard »

Hi Hugh. Good to read you are still with us. Sadly I can’t put a face to you or your outfit, photo at that time would be good, I live in Dorset now, not Wembley when we were racing. I have a nice big barn to play in, not available in Wembley. Like you I have not raced since 1970. Don’t know if you were there, but I pranged the outfit at Mallory, something happened to the front disc and it locked up fully to the right at the devils elbow, as you know, no chicane then, so we hit the Armco rather hard. Not seriously hurt, the bike was in a mess. Anyway, I hung on to all the bits, moving it 3 times with property moves. About 2 years ago, Cyril Malem (see the post before this one) planned to sort the chassis out. I dusted off all bits and got them together, then Cyril’s illness became too serious him to continue, so I have decided to have a go myself, not I hasten to add, for me to ride. I get me excitement with VMCC runs with my Vincent. The nearest to track days has been blasting around Jurby on their MGP “parades” and previously with TT course parades when they were a sensible price. My latest Mecca are the North of Spain rallies. Fantastic roads, no traffic, great company.
Passenger wise, my first, Chris Hoy, married my sister, we see a lot of each other, he is up in Northamptshire. Second passenger Pete Shave, lives down in Cornwall, we tend to catch up with each other at Shepton Auto jumble. What part of the country do you hail from?
You have got me digging out the old programmes, I did keep a very basic log of who I raced against and see your name 6 time at Cadwell and 3 times at Snetterton. It records you beat me twice at Snetterton, but I seem to have the advantage at Cadwell. Sounds like you have the legs on the fast circuits and I on the twisty. The Cadwell names I clearly remember were Martin Davenport, I could never catch him, Mike Broom, Bill Crook, and Gordon Nottingham.
I don’t remember Norman Knightly, but my log shows that be beat me at Brands in1969, that’s all.
Email is biker.bernard998@talktalk.net